Thursday, May 20, 2010

Post from Research Tumblr: What I Expect...

I think the quote I chose a few hours earlier explains my feelings left over from my previous visit in Taiwan. “The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it. ” As I remember, the distinct smells of Taiwan teeter on the edge of tolerable and down right pungent. I am going to go out on a limb and suppose that the Philippines’ odors will equally be driven into my memory after this adventure.
     I recall the potent smells, the vibrant colors, the full metros (as well as no drinks on the metros. I learned my lesson), dry throats, and food that needed a well-adapted palate. To some extent this is what I expect from Taiwan. As for the Philippines, I have no cultural/architectural (maybe Spanish influence?)/communication references except stories of poverty. So that will be fun.
     I expect to be tired, and hungry once I get off of the plane, which will be immediately followed by a heat-stroke due to the intense temperature and humidity. Hopefully after recovering and slowly re-learning my way around, I can indulge in some interviews. I am slightly terrified of the interview aspect because I have no clue what to expect. For instance, this image keeps on reoccurring in my head, where the interviewee is telling this traumatic story that Oprah would revel in, and there I am either a) bursting into tears right along with the interviewee, grabbing a box of tissues for the both of us or b) just staring at her with a frozen look of terror on my face. Clearly, neither is professional, but both are highly probable.
     I am also not looking forward to the food; however, I promise to be adventurous. I expect the fruit and seafood to be AMAZING. I will truly be disheartened and famished if that is not so.   
     Lastly, I expect to go and come back all in one piece along with all my belongings that are also expected to make it back. I know this is wishful thinking, but I have heard positive thinking can make things come true.
     Now off to finish packing…

The link to my Tumblr is: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kjmaher
There you can find photos, notes, more thoughts, and interview transcripts from my research course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment